This is a good one! Use organic yellow corn taco shells or the blue corn taco shells. Either one works...just make sure the package says organic! Why, you ask? Because we humans have managed to screw up corn so badly that I don't think it is very healthy anymore unless it is organic! This is my personal preference in the area of corn! Okay...here we go!
- 2 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed about 1/4" thick
- 1 cup fresh, green bell pepper, sliced thin, about 1/8" thick
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced thin, about 1/8" thick
- 1 can organic black beans, rinsed
- 6 large organic taco shells
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (if you're brave enough)
Open and pour black beans into a colander and rinse off juice.
Pour rinsed beans into a small pan with 1/4 can of water and add 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Place over low-medium heat.
Place opened taco shells onto a baking sheet and warm in an oven set to 250°F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken and season with remaining garlic powder, sea salt, cumin and cayenne. Toss or stir to incorporate.
Cook for 2 minutes and toss again. Add onion and pepper.
Stir to incorporate and cook for 2-3 minutes. Toss or stir and cook until the chicken is done, about another 3-5 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
Remove from heat. Place one taco shell onto a plate and fill with chicken mixture.
Spoon a serving of black beans onto the plate and serve. YUM!